Campion Hall is the home of the Jesuit academic community in Oxford University. Oxford is a collegiate univeristy made up of 44 colleges and halls, of which Campion Hall is one of the Catholic halls alongside Blackfriars (Dominicans) and St Benet's (Benedictines).
The origins of Campion Hall begin in 1896 when the English Jesuits established a private hall in the University of Oxford. Fr Richard Clarke SJ was the first Master. The hall allowed Jesuits to study for Oxford degrees. The hall was granted permanent status in 1918. Originally in rented accommodation in St Giles, the architect Edwin Lutyens was commissioned to build a permanent home for the hall and the present building opened in 1935. The hall incoporates an ancient house (16th century) named after the brewer who built it, Micklem Hall. The street in which Campion Hall stands is Brewer Street. A new south wing was added in the 1960s.
Campion Hall accommodates a sizeable library and a significant art collection begun by Fr Martin D'Arcy SJ who was Master in the 1930s.
The community at Campion Hall consists of Jesuits from the UK and from around the world. Some teach in the University while others are studying, mostly for postgraduate degrees. Diocesan priests, members of other religious orders, and lay men and women, are also members of the Hall from time to time. Georgetown University in Washington DC has a permanent base at Campion Hall.
The Jesuit community is responsible for the Catholic Chaplaincy to the University of Oxford.
The Jesuit Institute holds many of its conferences at Campion Hall.
Campion Hall website